Frostbite in bantam rooster

stargirl

Songster
10 Years
Jun 15, 2011
UK
08D45FC7-2AC8-4A7D-9FC7-34545809AE57.jpeg

Tarzan is the only bantam in a flock of around 20 hens and ducks.

The flock isn’t mine - they belong to a neighbour - but I visit and sit with them a few times a week. They are well cared for.

I first noticed Tarzan’s frostbite about a month ago - there was black and grey damage to his comb. Feet and wattles seem fine. I didn’t know how old it was so have just been monitoring it.

Today it looks worse. See pics - the uppermost bit looks raw and wet, like it’s lost the protective skin over it.
It looks painful and open to infection. I’ve never dealt with frostbite before, so would really appreciate your guidance.

Does this need topical creams? A vet visit?
I have all the usual avian first aid supplies and things like baytril and metacam on hand too, if needed.

BB6F7A95-1BBF-4029-BE3B-B3820EDE9C1A.jpeg

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Other info in case it’s helpful:

• Based in northern England so weather is cold and damp, temperatures dropping below freezing sometimes at night and occasionally during the day with snow.

• Housed in a good shed with all the other birds, dry and cozy but unheated.

• No damage on any other birds but they are all much bigger.

• No changes in his behaviour at all, although he did appear to be shivering in his legs a little today (6c, rainy, cold wind). He’s stubborn though and refuses to seek shelter if his flock are out and about!

Do you know how long ago the frostbite occurred? He has no "points" on his comb and it may be that he's had frostbite prior to this current one and lost them at that time. If this is his history, then this recent episode of frostbite adds more destruction of tissue to the last one.

There is really no treatment for frostbite as touching and rubbing harms the tissue even more. But the little guy must be kept from further freezing.

Do you know how long ago the frostbite occurred? He has no "points" on his comb and it may be that he's had frostbite prior to this current one and lost them at that time. If this is his history, then this recent episode of frostbite adds more destruction of tissue to the last one.

There is really no treatment for frostbite as touching and rubbing harms the tissue even more. But the little guy must be kept from further freezing.
Oh, I see what you mean about the points!

I don’t know much of his history, but I think you’re right - there’s a lot of it that looks long-healed, which is what threw me at first.

I’ll have to speak to the owners about protecting him from further damage. What sort of exposure does he need protecting from? It’s going to be tricky as he gets distressed if he’s not with his flock and there’s still a few months of winter left…

Poor baby!

It's not so much protecting him from cold, but from conditions that would cause moisture to condense on his comb and to freeze. The owner will need to examine the air circulation in the coop, and correct deficiencies that contribute to water vapor at night from the chickens' breathing that settle on the chickens and freezing. Usually, opening venting along the tops of the coop walls and creating an upward flow of air coming in from the floor level to push the moisture out of the coop via thermodynamic air flow is what's required to solve this problem.

It's not so much protecting him from cold, but from conditions that would cause moisture to condense on his comb and to freeze. The owner will need to examine the air circulation in the coop, and correct deficiencies that contribute to water vapor at night from the chickens' breathing that settle on the chickens and freezing. Usually, opening venting along the tops of the coop walls and creating an upward flow of air coming in from the floor level to push the moisture out of the coop via thermodynamic air flow is what's required to solve this problem.
Thank you!
I’ve just been reading up on this, your explanation makes it much easier to follow!

He’s built them an amazing set up so far so I’m sure he’ll be open to considering this. Their coop and run is on the bank of a stream, so it makes sense that moisture is an issue here.

I wonder, as an interim measure, if hanging some ‘damp bags’ might help? They absorb humidity from the air - I’ve used them in a damp classic car and they’ve helped immensely!

Have you spoken to the owners about this?
Are they aware and have they dealt with it before?

Keeping it from freezing again is probably not practical.
It'll heal up in time, just leave it alone.
Here's pictorial of the progress you can expect to see:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/

Thank you!
I haven’t spoken to them yet as I wanted to get some info from your excellent brains to take along with me.

I have mentioned Tarzan’s comb before and they weren’t aware of a problem, so I don’t think it’s ever been on their radar. He was an unwanted pet that somebody dumped on them a few years back, so they didn’t ever really intend to keep any bantams.

The photo progression is really helpful! Sad, too, but good to know it’s not an urgent care matter and others have been through it. Thanks for the help!

He’s built them an amazing set up so far so I’m sure he’ll be open to considering this.
Get some pics of the coop, inside and out, showing ventilation.
Even with good ventilation, you can't make it drier in the coop than it is outside,
why measuring humidity inside and out is important.
I have good ventilation, but still have had serious FB.

I wonder, as an interim measure, if hanging some ‘damp bags’ might help? They absorb humidity from the air - I’ve used them in a damp classic car and they’ve helped immensely!
Not likely to do much good in this situation.

Well don't do anything till they are made aware, I would be mad if a "Good Samaritan" was messing with my birds.
Oh absolutely! I’m verrrrrry careful to never over step - even raising it with them feels delicate tbh, as I don’t want to seem like a busy body!

But they are older, and with it being winter they’re not able to be out with the flock very much.

I’m spending a lot of time there as my young rooster has joined the flock (a rescue chick I raised last summer) and i’m working to keep him tame during puberty. The couple know and are very happy and encourage me to come :)

Back
Top Bottom