Frostbite in chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mattsiewrt94, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    My rooster seems to be getting frost bite on him and his comb on the bottom that dangles feels like there full of air I know what causes it but what can I do to help him he looks like it hurt he's moving his head side to side idk please help [​IMG]

2. Lizard Lady

Lizard Lady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    My rooster has a little frostbite on his comb, as well. The local feed store said there's not much we can do. I tried to avoid all of it as much as I could, but I don't think any of us came out unscathed over the past few days.

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Try putting some non-pain killing/relieving ointment (such as Neosporin) on the affected areas. Pain killing or reducing ointment is lethal to chickens, so make sure that it does not contain any ingredients ending in -caine. If the area is completely black, there's not much you can do except let the dead tissue fall off eventually. In the future, you can coat his comb and wattles with petroleum jelly to reduce the risk of frostbite.[​IMG]

4. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    What about the swelling on them it was never like that before

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    The ointment might help with that. Unfortunately, frostbite doesn't have many cures. I have also read good things about giving chickens electrolytes in their water to help them during stressful times, so that may be worth a try to help him deal with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by