1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frostbite on foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peep-Chicken, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I gave this pullet to my friend a few weeks ago. I visited today and she said she recently noticed it's foot. Doesn't know how it happened.
    Anyway, I have the pullet, Simon, now. I've soaked her foot in epsom salts, put antibiotics in her water because she seems to have an infection and put triple antibiotic ointment. Her two toes are goner. Anything else I can do?

2. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

Poor thing. So far so good and you have touched all the bases. I would get vet wrap and gauze, really glob antibiotic salve on the pads and then pad it with gauze before wrapping with vet wrap. You want to keep that nasty wound as clean as possible and keep the antibiotic salve against the wounds. You may have to split the vet wrap into 1 inch strips in order to work between her toes. Change daily. You can soak the foot in warm (not hot) water with some epsom salts in it and gently rub her foot to try to clean off as much dead tissue as possible. There is a lot of damage there but they are pretty resilient little creatures. Definitely keep hitting her with the antibiotics in her water and I'd be giving her some probiotics and vitamins also along with extra protein (protein aids healing)

Also I would put her in a pen where you can keep the bedding clean so she isn't tromping around in dirt and feces like chickens love to do. Roosting is probably painful for her also. Yes, she may very well come out of the ordeal a few toes short of a set but she will adapt. Big goal is to keep infection down and let nature run it's course.

Good luck. Sounds like your friend isn't as knowledgeable about chicken keeping as you are, but at least they yelled help when they needed it. If the infection worsens or looks as though it is spreading, I would consider getting a vet involved.

3. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Thank you! That's helpful.

4. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Almost all better. :)
    There are still two scabs on the bottom of the foot but they are healing nicely! It almost seems like her one toe was broken, :/ but she still tries to perch and can sometimes do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by