Frostbite on Muscovy caruncles, help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WaddleWaddle, Jan 6, 2014.

1. WaddleWaddle

WaddleWaddle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Culpeper, VA
    I have 3 Muscovy drakes who we got from friends mid to late summer. They are not very sociable with me and will not let me touch them. They have a house which they refuse to use and I have been unsuccessful at herding them into it. They have been sleeping in their run on a thick bed of straw I have made for them. One of the drakes, Will, has what I think is frostbite on the caruncle at the top of his bill. The area a light orange and I have noticed when I do night checks that he does not sleep with his head as far under his wing like the other two leaving that area exposed. My husband has tried helping me catch him but we have not yet been successful. What in the world can I do for this poor guy? I have tried feeding them treats to gain their trust but they act like they don't even know what they are or what to do with them. Does anyone have any advice? I am worried sick about them with these horrible temps we are having.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Can you hold long rods in each hand so your reach is very wide, and get behind them and walk them into the shelter?

That's what I used to have to do to train the runners to go in.

3. WaddleWaddle

Dec 1, 2013
    Culpeper, VA
    [​IMG]

I tried that earlier today but the little bugger's kept trying to fly from the sticks! I think they are going to give me grey hair faster than my children!!! I ended up going out and put a heat lamp up for them. I herded them under it and they stayed long enough for me to get back up to the house and then they moved out from under it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Tricky them are BIG boys, why i always have mine just tame enough to grab... it's not uncommon, first of all.. i have some that do this too.. it's the heavy fleshed ones and they dip their heads and well.. i use Vaseline on my boys... i know some suggest bag balm.

I agree with Amiga, you need to work into a corner.. and grab, i highly recommend, good heavy clothes, combined with the strength those nails are something else, i was holding my oldest drake last year he shifted his foot and sliced through my glove and finger!! he wasn't even fighting just readjusting. oye.

This guy often has FB problem with this Knob and they are locked in housing nightly! By doing the Vaseline you can see it always heals nicely, this pic is from last year now but clearly his flesh is stable and healthy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  5. WaddleWaddle

Dec 1, 2013
    Culpeper, VA
    I just looked out the window and they are sitting under the heat lamp. I know it is not going to make them warm but it is better than nothing considering what I am working with! I am going to try to catch them again tomorrow and see if I can get some Vaseline on then. I figured I would wear my carhartt jacket and heavy duty leather gloves for protection. These boys have really long nails too- like talons! I really think they need to be trimmed but I have to catch them first! I sit with them everyday and have tried to win them over and get them to trust me but I haven't had any luck so far. Ours friends who we got them from had then as babies and played with them but I think they didn't get much handling once they were out of the brooder. At least the 11 chickens we got from them are a bit friendlier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by