Frostbite on Roosters

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cellochick, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Cellochick

Cellochick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    I live in NE North Dakota, and the temperatures have been bitterly cold. The coop average has been about 10 on warm days and below zero on colder days. All of the chickens have been ok besides having cold feet. My 10 month old cochin roosters have terrible frostbite on the tops of their combs. It started just on the tips and I would rub the tips when I was out there and it seemed to be ok, but now its going down toward their heads and its black. Is there anything I can do or put on the combs to keep them from freezing? I show my chickens so I would like to save as much of their combs as possible. Any ideas appreciated!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I actually had show pens set up in my basement, and during REALLY cold weather, I would bring my roosters inside. They were leghorns, and the comb is definitely part of their beauty.

3. Cellochick

Cellochick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    Ok that would be a good idea and I bring my bantams inside in dog kennels, but I don't have enough kennels or enough space for the amount of chickens and roosters I have. They would all be crammed together and I couldn't do that to them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by