frostbite on silkie or comb turning black?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by one cool chick, Jan 14, 2009.

1. one cool chick

one cool chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    USA
    have any of you ever had a buff silkie without a puff on its head and a red comb? our buff silkie came to us as a one day old chick. she was supposed to be a hen but we think she may be a roo. it got pretty cold last night (about 30 degrees), and today we noticed a few black specks on her comb. we're wondering if it could be frostbite, or if her comb is supposed to turn black? she's about 4 mos. old.

thank you![​IMG]

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:A buff without a puff?!?

30 doesn't seem cold enough for frostbite. It's 5 and blowing hard here right now, and ours are okay.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are just specks it could be dried blood from being peck.

4. one cool chick

Oct 25, 2008
    USA
    I don't think she has been pecked because she is high in the pecking order. she is the only bantam we have. do you think the red comb and red wattle at 4 months means she is a roo?[​IMG]

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you get a pic? Even if she is high up on the order she still can get peck by someone trying to step up.

6. one cool chick

Oct 25, 2008
    USA
    i will get a pic tomorrow. in the light.[​IMG]

7. onebuggirl

onebuggirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    You can put petroleum jelly on thier combs and waddles to help prevent frostbite. Here it is -45 windchills and a low tonight of -18 so my three girls are in the basement nice and cozy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by