1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

frostbite or has she been pecked???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ekopapers, Jan 30, 2015.

1. ekopapers

ekopapers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2014
    Howard County Maryland
    Not sure if this is frostbite or if she's been pecked by other chickens? any suggestions of what to do would be helpful. Right or wrong I currently separated her from the rest until I figure out what to do. I cleaned it and put some ointment on it.

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Looks like it could be frostbite since it's the tips. Just check for infection but it should eventually just fall off. Infection would be very hot.
    Once the frostbite happens, IMHO, it's too late for ointment.
    Moisture is worse than cold so make sure you keep the ventilation wide open.
    I almost never get frostbite on hens but frequently on Mediterranean roosters when it gets into the teens and below.
    It was -19 last winter and the roosters lost lots of their combs and wattles but the hens were fine. That tells me you may have a ventilation problem.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  3. ekopapers

ekopapers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2014
    Howard County Maryland
    thanks for the reply, she is the only one having the problem and I don't think ventilation is causing it as the coop is very well ventilated and very dry. Yesterday I noticed that one of the tips looked a little had a little scab but then it looked like this today. Should I keep her separated from the rest until it heals (she is currently in a dog crate inside) or should I put her back outside with the others?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If she's not sick, keep her with the rest of the flock. Frostbite and pecked comb aren't illnesses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by