frostbite or no?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emilyschartz, Dec 5, 2013.

1. emilyschartz

emilyschartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Today I noticed little black dots showing up in the Combs and wattles of my 8 month old hens. They have also been losing small feathers. could it be frostbite? what could I put on it? Vaseline? two of them are also getting "testy" with each other. This is my first year with chickens and I don't know what to do

2. emilyschartz

Apr 3, 2013
    Here's a picture of hen with most black spots on her[​IMG]

3. emilyschartz

Apr 3, 2013
    They are also having more of the runny type poop instead of all solid. Please help. Any suggestions?

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    It sounds as though there isn't enough ventilation in your coop, so their combs are getting frostbitten. When they are in a small, poorly ventilated space, their own exhalations cause moisture to build up, and when that moisture settles on their combs and freezes, it causes frostbite. Open up some vents and windows, and make sure there is adequate ventilation (but no drafts directly ON the birds), and there should be no further cases of frostbite.

5. emilyschartz

Apr 3, 2013
    Ok is there anything I can put on them where they have frostbite? I'll definitely get better ventilation in the coop.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I've heard of people putting Vaseline on frostbite. That probably would help in the short term as it would prevent moisture freezing directly on the skin.

7. emilyschartz

Apr 3, 2013
    Ok thanks! I'll definitely put some on them. Thanks for the help. Is there anything I can do if one of them is trying to bite another one?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am not seeing anything that looks like frostbite. I see a couple of dark spots that could be from pecking or something else. You can put some Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment on them--it also has vaseline in it. Frostbite usually affects the tips of the combs, or the wattles and feet if they have been in water, then exposed to very cold air.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

10. emilyschartz

Apr 3, 2013
    Ok. I couldn't get it in the picture but the one has her whole earlobe black and all have black spots on their Combs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by