Frostbite or not?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Iowagirl1, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Iowagirl1

Iowagirl1 Just Hatched

Dec 9, 2016
    Iowa
    Yesterday I went out to feed and take care of my six Rhode Island Red ladies and discovered some tiny black dots on their combs, so I though "frostbite". I heave read that if you put a small amount of Vaseline on their combs it can help prevent that, so I did very gently (and was surprised that they let me do that!) . I went out today and noticed that it looks like very faint black (almost like its inside the bright red comb) just where the triangles of their combs are.......I live in Iowa so winters just begun........I want to do all I can to get them through this first winter and would really appreciate any feedback!

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pictures of the combs and of the coop may help.

3. Iowagirl1

Iowagirl1 Just Hatched

Dec 9, 2016
    Iowa
    [​IMG]

4. Iowagirl1

Iowagirl1 Just Hatched

Dec 9, 2016
    Iowa
    There is plastic lining around the chicken wire to keep the wind out. House is warm and dry.

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Not really concerned about how warm the coop is, but how well ventilated it is. If it's holding in heat, it might not have enough ventilation.

6. Iowagirl1

Iowagirl1 Just Hatched

Dec 9, 2016
    Iowa
    When I say "warm" I'm not saying heated, I'm saying warmer than outside......ventilation is good and has never been a problem. Coop is elevated so on the floor their is about a 3 in. slit for ventilation at the back of the coop floor and about an in. by the roof. Would putting a air vent or a piece of chicken wire across part of the top of the coop be better though?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Doesn't sound like enough ventilation at all. Picks of the coop, and of where the vents are, in relation to the roosts, would be really helpful.

8. Iowagirl1

Iowagirl1 Just Hatched

Dec 9, 2016
    Iowa
    Would that then be the reason why there combs look the way they do?

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Lack of ventilation, or poorly placed roosts in relation to ventilation, are the primary causes for frostbite. It does look like your birds have a bit of frostbite. Pictures can really help to spot potential problems, and offer solutions.

10. Iowagirl1

Iowagirl1 Just Hatched

Dec 9, 2016
    Iowa
    I did post a picture of one of my girls and am looking into installing more ventilation asap! One last question :p Heat lamps bulbs in the coop if there is good ventilation. Yay or nay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by