frostbite overnight on Welsummer rooster

yls

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2022
It appears our Welsummer rooster developed some frostbite overnight on his comb and wattle (I think the latter as when he drinks it gets wet accidentally,etc). Funny was I had just recently read to put Vaseline on to prevent frostbite and I knew it was getting cold this upcoming week so was going to try to do that (he's skittish so wasn't sure if he'd cooperate) so I am surprised to see this develop so quickly (and it is 28 degrees, so not that cold for MI. When it was in the teens before Thanksgiving he was fine. We've had cold temps for quite a while). What am I supposed to do to treat now? They say Vaseline doesn't treat it (just help prevent it). He is very mellow now (sitting in my daughters lap which is highly unusual). We've never had chickens in winter so please provide any advice! Thank you!

(Another side is they have an enclosed coop with an attached run...we live with lots of predators, they are never truly free range. For the attached run about a month ago we put up plastic tarp on 2 sides to help block the wind. The front door is not covered......I think I should as maybe the wind was blowing from that direction. When it's really cold or windy they don't even come out their coop very much during the day....the door is open to give the option but often they are inside. But I think I'm going to block off the wind from the front....the plastic tarp goes from the bottom up to about 6 inches from the top to allow some ventilation. Maybe this was part of the issue yesterday??? It's supposed to be getting really cold by Christmas, only highs around 21 and low around 10. We also are thinking of insulating the outside of the coop with straw bales. I read straw is really bad for the inside for a variety of reasons, but was going to stack up bales around the walls on the outside to help).
Thank you!

Do you have any pictures of the comb and wattles? Sometimes frostbite damage is not evident for a week or two after it happens. Vaseline can actually freeze, so I don’t recommend it. Leave the frostbitten areas alone, no rubbing, no sprays.

Ventilation up high overheads is good to help remove moisture from breathing, and keep a direct cold draft off of them. Straw bailes is a good idea to help prevent drafts in a run. You can wrap them in plastic to make them last longer in rain and snow. Tarps tend to flap and scare chickens. Some also use paneling for wind barriers.

I just took a picture although not the best as he is asleep in the back corner and the nosy hens are milling about . The tips of the comb and the bottom of the wattle. What is more alarming is his behavior as he is laying around and wasn't eating any cracked corn, which he loves
IMG_20221217_092735984_HDR.jpg

So in that case there is something else going on as he is just laying down etc..... so I guess I need to separate from the rest of the flock and bring him in the basement (I have a dog crate)

I agree, he doesn't look well.

Get a good look at his poop (photos?)
Check him over for lice/mites.
Is his crop emptying?
Have you looked at his feet for any issues like frostibite/injury?

If it's really cold, then you may want to move him somewhere a little warmer and work on getting some warmed fluids into him. Electrolytes or warmed sugar water.
Get more photos of him/his poop/feet, etc.
Once he's a little more alert and drinking, offer some feed (wet or dry) and bit of scrambled egg. See if he's willing to eat.

Is he your only rooster?

Is his crop emptying?

If it's really cold, then you may want to move him somewhere a little warmer and work on getting some warmed fluids into him. Electrolytes or warmed sugar water.
Once he's a little more alert and drinking, offer some feed (wet or dry) and bit of scrambled egg. See if he's willing to eat.

Is he your only rooster?
Yes sole rooster (accidental) of 6, 5 months old.
I had to clean the coop and I figured to isolate from the others so I brought him inside in the basement (59 vs 28 outside... hopefully that won't cause issues later on as he been outside only and it is cold in mi. I can move to the garage otherwise)
I am not experienced with chickens but I tried to check his crop and think it is ok. He ate normal last night so it should have been empty this morning and he wasn't eating at all so I think it was normal? The alarming part was no poop but he wasn't eating....I have given some sugar water and he has been drinking and also eaten a little bit here and there. And he just pooped (my daughter said pee, as it is very liquidly) and color is weird, pale yellow/white

IMG_20221217_143552031_HDR.jpg

Is his crop emptying?

Is he your only rooster?
Also I don't believe lice/mites.....will check closer the feet but didn't see any signs earlier

I would try to get him drinking water with electrolytes and vitamins. The urates in his poop could be a sign that he is dehydrated. If it is frostbite, then he may be in pain. Offer fluids up to his beak, and wet chicken feed and scrambled egg might be tempting. Canned tuna and cat food are also good.

Back
Top Bottom