Frostbite pics of my Welsummer Roo--should I do anything?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sarahandbray, Jan 9, 2015.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    Here are two pics of my 22-week-old Welsummer Roo. I have 39 chickens near Albany, NY and we've had a really bad cold snap this week.
    Not heating the coop, have lots of ventilation, no drafts, low humidity, etc.
    is there anything I should do for him? Wattles are a bit swollen, too. He seems to be flipping them around :(
    Must bother him...all others seem ok.

[​IMG]

2. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I would smooth some Bag Balm onto the comb and wattles. Try to find a waterer that has a narrow basin so his wattles don't get wet when he drinks.

He's such a handsome boy!

4. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

If he has some swelling that is actually good and he may not lose as much. Last year a roo had slight frostbite and his wattles swelled up more than double in size but he healed up perfect. A different boy got it this past week as well but he has no swelling and expect he will end up losing a good portion of his wattles. There really isn't much to do, make sure if he loses skin that other chickens don't peck at it. Also after they have had frost bite they seem much more susceptible in the future.
    [​IMG]

5. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    He seems better the past two or three days. I think there's always a trade-off. I like opening the pop door each day and letting them decide if they want to go out. If that means a chicken or two gets frostbite once in a while, so be it.
    For me, in this case, I think the health of having the whole flock be able to be outside whenever the mood strikes them is better than having them literally cooped up--and having them closed in the coop may not help with the frostbite when it's bitterly cold anyway!
    We'll see how "Wellie" does with time--he's one of 9 Roosters that all get along pretty darn well considering there's only 30 hens. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by