frostbite pics

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Brianm97, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    how do yuo treat a bird with frostbite i have a thread with no replys in the emerg... also how do i prevent it
    i feel so bad for her it must be painful also is it def. frostbite it is freezing to the touch
    [​IMG]

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Same thing happened to my leghorn. It doesn't seem to bother her anymore after a day or two. I don't think there is anything you can do once they get frostbitten. Mine is starting to look much better, it's been about a week since it happened. I feel bad too - I shouldn't have let them out when there was a wind. Only my leghorns were affected, but I guess that's because they have those huge crowns and wattles. Hopefully your girl will begin to heal. From what I've read here I think applying vaseline would help prevent it, but once they've got it, it's too late to do anything.

3. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    she was in the coop how can i put ventilation inside

4. TipsyDog

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I just looked at your coop. I assume that is a window in the front and you don't have any ventilation? I would cut a vent in on one side. Here's a picture of the vent I have in my coop. I have one on each side and I can turn it to open or close it. I leave it open alittle even in very cold temps but my birds do have a heat lamp so the coop stays at 35* since we get below zero here often.

I bought the vents at home depot - they're plastic but it was all I could find that allowed me to completely close or open. This is what I'd put in your coop, maybe try just one side first. I don't know where you are or how cold it gets by you.

[​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You can put bag balm on their combs and wattles to help avoid frostbite.

The ventilation is a huge thing indeed...without proper ventilation, frostbite is only ONE of the many issues to come. Respiratory illness, disease and death are some of the others.

Cut some openings near the roofline, cover them with hardwire cloth and the more the merrier. In the winter, cover th northside ventilation if it is staying too cold inside the coop.

Fixing frostbite once it has occurred is difficult. If you notice the frostbitten areas turning dark, they will eventually die and fall off. Parts of the combs, the combs, toes, etc etc.

Good luck with them.

6. TipsyDog

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I also have a vent in the back of my coop above the nest box that I mainly use in the warmer months. You could cut one like this into your back wall - just be sure to put hardware cloth over it and a good latch to prevent predators!

[​IMG]

7. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    alright so should i add heat or not and how diffucult are those to install on my page there are two removable windows where the wire is and the hens roost looking out that so should i remove that then the coop will have thoes areas open it is looking at my house so wind wont be the biggest issue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by