Frostbite question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pw_quiltworks, Feb 15, 2009.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    I have a red sex link that has a small place on the comb that is black. It is not very big and does not seem to go away. It does not seem to bother her at all. She clucks the sames as always and is the size of the others. I heat the coop with a 250w red heat lamp. I wonder if maybe the heat lamp just didn't do the trick. The water froze in the back of the water bucket. Do you think it's frostbite? Also, my coop is fully insulated and small. Course it was -30 for a few nights. Still... I did heat it. It's bothering me. Did I do something wrong? I am really upset I might have caused it. Can I do anything for it?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you post a pic? It might also be a peck mark from someone else. Just keep an eye on it.

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    As soon as the weather warms up (if it ever will) it should sluff off and be fine. And no you did nothing wrong.

4. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Thanks. It's not too bad. I will take a picture tomorrow.

5. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    NW IL Fiber Enabler
    It's frostbit and the black is dead. We prefer fowl with pea & rose combs, but we still have birds with large combs. After a good cold winter, all our roos look like they have pea or rose combs because of the frost bite.

Your hen will be fine. We don't heat our coop at all. Half the fowl sleep in the hen house, the other half in the barn. They suffer more from wind and rain than they do cold

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by