frostbite tips please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kelso roosters, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Kelso roosters

Kelso roosters Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    So I have a whiteleghorn and her comb is starting to turn purple and white I need some help how would I treat her?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You can't do much about the already damaged areas. However, if you put Vaseline on the comb, you may be able to prevent further frostbite. Antibiotic ointment can also help prevent frostbite (by insulating the comb), and can prevent infection.

Make sure that your coop is well ventilated and has no drafts. These are the main causes of frostbite, not cold. Add more bedding to the coop to help cut down on drafts and keep the birds warmer. You don't want the coop completely closed-- proper ventilation is essential.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you don't want her to lose more of her comb, the first thing you need to do is prevent further frostbite. Put a heat lamp over her, find a way to heat the coop, or bring her into a warm house/garage. Put some petroleum jelly/Vaseline or other oil on the comb to help seal it from cold drafts. Make sure the litter in the coop is dry, and that there is enough ventilation, as moisture is a major cause of frostbite.

As for the frostbite itself, warming her up should help a bit. Try massaging the area to stimulate blood flow, and perhaps apply something like VetRX or Vick's Vapor Rub to stimulate more circulation. You could also put some antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin, on the comb to help prevent infection. Any severely damaged parts of the comb will die and slough off, but the less severely frostbitten areas will likely scab up a bit, but not be lost entirely.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  5. Kelso roosters

Jul 18, 2013
    My chicken coop is 6ft long and 4food wide I put a vent in it the 10in in a square.so you guys are telling me I need another vent so she don't get frost bite I put some vaseline on her comb so I hope that helps.it is supose to start warming up this week I am glad its not in the negatives anymore my poor chickens

6. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, I would add more ventilation, and make it high, hear the roof.

7. Kelso roosters

Jul 18, 2013
    Ok I will put one in how big should I make it? And will they be ok if they sleep up high and I put the vent up high?I just worry for them:(

8. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If more ventilation creates a draft on the roost, they will probably move lower, or you may want to move the roost, even remove it for winter, depending on your setup.

My saddles are maybe 6" wide and 9'" long with about 2-3" between the wing holes. You'll know when you try to put it on her what needed to be different. I think I threw the first one away every time I needed to make one, or at least adjusted it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by