frostbite to gangrene ... it is too late to save my duck :-( (update with pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimb, Feb 11, 2013.

1. kimb

kimb Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    It is too late to save her, I know this to be true after taking the pictures this morning ... they're so much worse than they were 2 days ago... my heart is breaking for the pain I've put her through... [​IMG]

My very special Muscovy girl appears to have gangrene...

[​IMG]

I brought her in last week when she wouldn't go outside one day (she was rather filthy from hunkering down under the perch I assumed) so I gave her a tepid water bath - and made up a crate with shavings and food and water.

the next day I put her back in the bathtub again to get extra clean and upon drying her found sores on her feet - so I put neosporin on them, an lightly taped a piece of cotton to the bottoms of her feet to keep them from getting dirty... rinse and repeat for 3 days - the 4th day - her feet started turning dark. She hasn't had a bath for about 5 days now (still happy to eat and drink, doesn't move very well - and her feet are black up to about 1/2" up her legs).

This is my very special Muscovy girl from the clutch that hatched this summer ... but I don't want her to suffer :( ...
    Is it too late ? is she going to lose her feet ? (I can post pictures this evening)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Pics would be good. Or a visit to the vet.

3. kimb

Nov 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Update with Pictures... after taking the pictures this morning - I know she's going to lose her feet [​IMG] ...

my poor sweet girl .. I had to peel her out of her shell and kept her in my bedroom for weeks until she was big and strong enough to be out with the rest of her brother's and sisters... Named "Henry" (isn't that always the way the naming always goes)...

I'm heartbroken ... and so angry with myself... :(

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Poor thing, I'm sure you are heartbroken. [​IMG]

5. kimb

Nov 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    thanks seminolewind ... I am very, very sad...

she's still with me - as comfortable as she can be in nice fluffy shavings in her crate. Was hoping someone might come back with a response that would prove me wrong, but she's moving around less and less now.[​IMG]

Still eating and drinking but she doesn't look comfortable - no more little coo's when she sees me and she was only fond of her bath for a short amount of time the other day.

6. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    I'm so sorry. I'm all for keeping chickens/ducks who have a little frostbite but when it is the whole foot the best thing to do is to put the animal down. Learn from this experience so you can try to do things so it won't happen again. We keep our chickens in when the temps get to 0 or below or it's just so cold they wouldn't do well outside.

KLoudon81 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by