Frostbite - what can I do and what to expect?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by torilovessmiles, Feb 19, 2015.

1. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    I know there are a million questions on here about frostbite, but I'm not completely sure what to do or what will happen. I have a couple of chickens that have gotten frostbite from bitterly cold temperatures for my area, especially this time of winter (-6 last night). My little hen just had a little on the skin, I think she will be fine. My rooster's comb is blackened a little on the very tips, and there are a couple blisters on the edge of his wattles. We put non-pain relieving antibiotic ointment on it, and I covered the rest of his comb and wattles in Vaseline to keep it from getting worse. Can he stay in the coop tonight? I've added tons of extra straw and it is significantly warmer in the coop than it was last night.
    Also, will he lose the tips of his comb? Or will they get better if it's just a little black?
    Thanks in advance!

2. btruegs

btruegs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Mine got hit pretty hard this year. Rub Vaseline on ALL the birds combs and wattles. If you don't it will get wayy worse. I learned that the hard way. I'm just now getting on of my hen's better

1 person likes this.
  3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Well, you've done about all you can do. Check to make sure coop ventilation is good. If the tips are just slightly black, they could heal. Worst case, the tips fall off. Big combed chickens are taking a beating this year. I ordered NO roosters but got 3 and wouldn't you know,they all have giant combs. they couldn't send me EE roos here where it gets to -20 something often, it had to be 2 RIR's and an Amberlink! I think they're gonna lose a few tips! [​IMG] Best of luck! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. torilovessmiles

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    Thanks guys! I noticed a draft coming from the cracks in the door when I went out there, so my mom and I covered the door with plastic after we were done doing things inside the coop. There are several vents in the top of the coop, so that will keep it ventilated without getting too drafty. I did notice another one of my other girls had a pretty nasty spot on her comb, so I put extra Vaseline on her. From now on, I'm getting birds with pea combs!

5. torilovessmiles

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    Here he is this morning. It got a little bit worse but it's looking better as he warms up. I went ahead and brought him inside for a bit because the girls were pecking at it, and he has perched himself in front of the fireplace. I hope he doesn't lose too much of his comb!
    [​IMG]

6. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    yeah just keep him in and monitor it

7. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    he should be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by