Frostbite - What Happens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by enggass, Jan 25, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    One of my hens has some frostbite on her comb. It has been sub-zero here the last few nights.
    Does this hurt the hen?
    What will happen to the frost bitten area? Will it eventually fall off?

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    It might,it might not.Have some with frostbite that never fell off,like its just skin deep.

Put some vasaline or petrolium jelly on combs to prevent frostbite.

They will be ok.Unless it does fall off and bleeds,but I havent seen any of mine do that.

3. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Does the comb ever regain color? or just remain blackish? This is my first winter with birds...

4. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    remains blackish if just skin deep. If more than skin deep,it does fall off.

5. HuttonFarm

HuttonFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    Afton, NY
    I have the same problem. However, this morning as I was putting on his ointment, I noticed that both his wattles are severely swollen, and swollen under them the size of a golf ball. Poor baby, it hurts him so much, and it is so very hot! It's only been since the night before last when it happened. Do you think the swelling will go down? Poor guy was so paralyzed with pain when I put the ointment on that he was just standing there shaking in my arms.

Thank you for any help!!! Unfortunately I don't have any vets in my area that are familiar with chickens. Guess old farmers just took matters into their own hands and "whatever happens, happens." But they are my pets.

6. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
  7. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:Hi r u sure his is frost bite they dont usally swell like a ball sounds like something else going on with him if he is in pain give him a bayer baby asprin half twice a day

8. HuttonFarm

HuttonFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    Afton, NY
    Yeah it's definitely frostbite. The top half of his comb got it too.. very purple.

We had -15 here the other night when it happened. Had a heat lamp in there, but he's not the brightest thing in the world and insisted on sleeping in the corner instead of under the light. The next morning, his wattles were purple halfway up, and scabby on the edges. Now this morning he's all swollen.

9. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Bag Balm is awesome! My girls act like they are having a day at the spa when I put it on them. It lasts a long time too and seems to combat the frostbite a bit, but do watch them for a few days to make sure that its working ok.

They need to make chicken hats for the winter time... I know they make sweaters [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by