Frostbite? What is wrong with Ginger's comb?

RMo2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Ohio
Hello! I am a newbie, and this is my first winter with chickens. We have been experiencing very cold (4-6 degrees F) at night here in Ohio. The coops seals up but has enough ventilation that there is not any condensation accumulating any where and is not excessively damp. They have 6 inches of pine shaving right now and the coop has been staying at least 10 degrees warmer than the outside temperatures. I have had to change their water many times a day, but even over night it is frozen, but not solid. I have also been offering scratch grains in the PM prior to roosting.

I have been paying particular attention to their combs and feet watching for any sign that it is too cold. This morning, I found Ginger's comb like this:
hit.gif

She is relatively low on the pecking order-- 4/5. The girls have not been "allowed" to go out of the coop for the last 2 days due to the very cold weather.

Is this frost bite or pecking by the other girls from being cooped up?

I have slathered her comb in vaseline and she is in the spare bathroom for now.

Anything else I should do?

Thanks for helping out a scared newbie!

Thank you! I have put Vaseline on all the girls' combs now. Should I add a heat lamp tonight? It will be about 12degrees F.

Thank you. I just feel bad, because they seemed war enough last night!

Do you think she will lose her points?

Last edited:
I slathered her comb in petroleum jelly again-- hoping for the best tonight-- no more frost bite on top of what she already has
fl.gif
. It is a bit warmer here!

Your post caught my eye because your girl has my name. Vaseline is good but with mine I put neosporin oint. (non pain) on first to ward off any infection that might set in. I have a few chickens that have gotten frost bit and their points are still there just discolored. Usually black. If you use a heat lamp, remember NO TEFLON coating bulb. All of you flock will be dead in the morning if you do. The Teflon is VERY TOXIC.

Thank you for the great advice! I did not know the bulbs could have Teflon coating!

Back
Top Bottom