1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frostbite...What to do????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by steelersfan43, Jan 25, 2010.

1. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    Our buff orp roo has some frost bite on his comb and waddles, you can see some of this in this photo. Is there anything we should do? I have checked the tissue and its still warm, just discolored so far. What do we do to help it not get worse, and what if it does, is there something you do to treat severe frostbite, should it happen.....

[​IMG]

2. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    Here's a better pic where you can see the frostbite a little better

[​IMG]

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I had a problem with frostbite and we used vasaline but I feel it is more to prevent than to treat! I would add a red warming light to their coop and secure it very good also the black parts will fall off and leave them with a little smaller comb but they will be fine!

4. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I agree with the vaseline. We put an extra heat lamp in the coop when it gets really cold & we put vaseline on everyone's comb & wattles. It really seems to help.
    Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by