Frostbite?

TOPChickens14

Songster
Dec 19, 2020
Northern New York
I have been watching my 3 hens with large combs very intently. The temperatures here sometimes have been -30 Fahrenheit at night. The lowest the coop temp inside has been was last night when it went down to -5. I have three hens with large combs and I have been paranoid about them getting frostbite. I am trying to keep the coop dry and well ventilated but there still are ice crystals on the window in the morning. Today when I went out there, I found that this one hen's comb looked odd. It is sort of yellowish-white on the top. I think it's probably mild frostbite. Should I bring her inside to help it heal? Any more tips would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG-2562.jpg
    IMG-2562.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-2549.jpg
    IMG-2549.jpg
    859.5 KB · Views: 10
I have been watching my 3 hens with large combs very intently. The temperatures here sometimes have been -30 Fahrenheit at night. The lowest the coop temp inside has been was last night when it went down to -5. I have three hens with large combs and I have been paranoid about them getting frostbite. I am trying to keep the coop dry and well ventilated but there still are ice crystals on the window in the morning. Today when I went out there, I found that this one hen's comb looked odd. It is sort of yellowish-white on the top. I think it's probably mild frostbite. Should I bring her inside to help it heal? Any more tips would be appreciated!
You don't need to bring her in. Yes, she has mild frostbite. It should heal.
How old is she?

It is pretty hard to prevent some frostbite on combs in temps near and below zero. I don’t treat frostbitten combs with anything, not do I use creams or ointments to prevent it, since those may freeze as well.

I got her sister and her from a friend who no longer wanted to keep chickens. I believe they are a couple of years old. Now that you say it does look like she lost the tips last winter. Her sister is the same. I was curious as to why they both had such short comb points.

I’ve been dealing with this as well with my hens and my rooster. I put plastic sheeting around their flyways to cut down on the below freezing windchills and they’re still getting it. I even keep their water out of the coop at night. I feel so bad they’re getting it no matter what I’m doing

Back
Top Bottom