Frostbite!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JodyJo, Dec 23, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Here is a great shot of frostbite...my poor roo has a huge comb...looks very painful, poor boy...

[​IMG]

2. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Awe!
    That does look like it hurts......have you treid useing vasiline to protect the comb? It's just somthing I heard and I've used it one one of my hens that has a larger comb.
    BTW: that is one handsome roo you have there!

3. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    if not,then dub the comb and waddles.

4. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I have several with frostbite, he has the largest comb...I have read the vaseline thing also...then have heard negs on it also....

he is a handsome boy...here is a pic of him with all his comb, I hope he doesn't lose a lot of it when it falls off!
    Gotta love the barnyard mixes!

[​IMG]

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I wouldn't rub anything on it quite yet. Some of those areas are still in the process of sloughing off. Rubbing ointment in is going to hurt, might encourage some bleeding and might prolong the drying out process. I also wouldn't be dubbing him, either. I'd just leave him be. He'll only lose the dead areas and may keep the majority of his beautiful comb.

Good luck with him. He reminds me of my new roo.

[​IMG]

Gotta love those beautiful boys!

6. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:Beautiful boy...yes I agree, I wasn't going to do anything...I was pretty much posting in case anyone needed to see what it looks like....
    I knew he would have issues with such a large comb.

7. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    When it starts looking better bag balm it. I just used some on my little serema that got beat up by the bigger roo's. His come looks so much better in just one day. I used Vaseline last year for the combs on our birds, it didn't seem to help that much, so I'm going to try bag balm this year.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've never dubbed but IMO you want to familiarize yourself with dubbing but only do so if it becomes infected. Otherwise it will heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by