1. chickencrazy08

chickencrazy08 New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    My single combed roosters get frostbite every year. One of them used to have 7 teeth on his comb but now only has the middle one remaining. Another ended up with a perfectly smooth comb from all of the teeth falling off because of frostbite. I just raised some new roosters from this spring and I don't want them getting forstbitten too, so are there any preventions? My rooster Tom Jr. already has black spots from this year and we are just beginning the winter season. I did some research and found vaseline, but there are mixed opinions and many people say it really doesn't do anything. I'm almost ready to start sewing them hats! So, does anyone know of a good prevention stradegy? I can't insulate the coop at this time, so thats out of the question.

Thanks!

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Show picture of coop. Concern is optimizing airflow.

Part of protecting comb is keeping feet warm.

Do you have electrity to coop?

What are you feeding and how much?

I actually trim combs off to prevent frostbite but not like doing so.

3. chickencrazy08

chickencrazy08 New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    The coop is a bunch of dog kennel panels contained in the lower part of the barn. It's about 6 feet by 28 feet and 6 feet tall with tarps over the top. Since it's in a barn, it's completely sheltered.

There is electricity which we use for lights and water heaters.

For feed, we just recently switched to an all flock feed with a calcium supplement on the side. This is always full so they are able to eat whenever they want. We also give them treats of corn and old produce.

I definately don't want to trim their combs. I would feel bad as it must be painful for them and I am beginning a breeding project in which I'd be showing.

Not sure how I would keep their feet warm. I'm currently using the deep litter method with hay and it's sitting on cement.

Thanks for trying to help!

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    All reads as good but keep humitidy low so be carefull with deep litter method.

Consider heated roost so birds can retreat to it when cold and while on roost. Warm feet will enable them to divert more blood flow to comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by