Frostbite!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheHenHen, Jan 23, 2013.

1. TheHenHen

TheHenHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2012
    Canada Amaranth
    Hello, one of my Colombian Wyandottes has frostbite, well, I think she does. the temp is -14 and it feels like -22 where I live, and her waddles are big and swollen. The waddles are warm, and she is not screaming in pain, so she might not have frostbite. Anyway, here is a few pictures of her waddles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Do her waddles feel hard or brittle at all? If you think it is frostbite you can put some vaseline on her comb and wattles...it won't heal anything that has happened so far, but will keep her from getting frostbit any worse. I have heard that frostbit combs will turn black, and my rooster has a few black tips on his comb some mornings, but I notice that they seem to color back up when the weather is warm...I should probably vaseline him up, but I haven't...it doesn't really get too cold here, but barely below freezing, so I figure it can't be too bad...if an area gets frost bitten severely the area will become necrotic, turn black and fall off...sometimes it can cause infections, but as I said my fellow gets a few black spots and then they are gone...I don't see what looks like frost bite on that hen though..but it sure does look swollen. I would keep an eye on it, and go ahead and vaseline it up and see if that helps at all.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  3. TheHenHen

Aug 4, 2012
    Canada Amaranth
    Her waddles are not hard, they are a bit squishy, and I think my mom and dad has some vaseline.

4. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    I just posted last night - the same problem with my rooster.

5. TheHenHen

Aug 4, 2012
    Canada Amaranth
    Actually, I put vaseline on her waddles, and it cured it! Thank you missnu01!!!

6. catsbully

catsbully Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    UGH! me too...my poor rooster (he's a barred rock with big waddles and comb) has frostbite on all the tips of his comb and a spot of it on one of his waddles!! geez he's gonna hate me more when I catch him to put vaseline on him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by