1. lauranickerson

lauranickerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    I had a new-to-me-rooster that didn't come home last night and decided to roost somewhere that I couldn't find him. It got to about 15 degrees last night before windchill....and there was plenty of wind, too.

We found him outside crowing this morning, which was a shock to me, because I figured if one of the many predators around here didn't already get him, the cold would have.

Well we brought him in and I was only able to look at him long enough to fill his water bowl before I had to go to work. But when I got home, I spent a while with him. I brought him into our garage bathroom to hopefully wash off what looks like blood off of his crown. The cotton swab idea ended up not working and didn't want to continue with hydrogen peroxide in fear of damaging the good tissue. So I then spread on triple antibiotic ointment with my fingers (rubber gloves on) all on his comb, wattles, and earlobes where it looks like the cold took it's toll. His right eye was also fused/swollen shut, so I tried prying them open. It's almost like trying to pry your own eyes open when you have pink eye...except he didn't have any crusties.

I gave up on that because I could tell me messing with it was painful. I got a tiny bit of his eye separated. I then fed him some yogurt, and suddenly it popped open. It's still pretty swollen, even on both sides, but at least he can see.

Along with the few tablespoons of yogurt and minced garlic, I put some probiotics, electrolytes, and vitamins in his water, which I saw him drink a few times before I went in to type this. He ate all of his yogurt covered pellets.

I know that once the skin is dead, it's dead, but let me know if there's anything else I should try!! I read something about utter balm, but TSC was closed by the time I got out of work.

Another thing I'm worried about it that he shakes his head now. I'm hoping it's not brain damage from the cold. He acts normal in every other sense, but he will shake his head like he's crazy. Maybe he's just in that much pain. :(

Please let me know if I should be doing anything else!! Thank you in advance!

Poor baby. :(
    [​IMG]

I think that's blood, because there is some on the whites of his feathers and I can't find another wound anywhere...
    [​IMG]

This is before his eye opened up.
    [​IMG]

This was the night I got him...which wasn't even a week ago. :(
    [​IMG]

Here's him shaking his head. It's towards the end of the video...
    [​IMG]

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Put neosporin on it. get the tube warm and get some between your fingers and coat some on. don't gob it on just put on a skim coating, this will help. I use it also as a preventative the evening before a cold night. (I put it on him when he is roosting) So for so good. It has gotten down to 9 here this year. Good luck with him

3. lauranickerson

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    Thank you for the advice. Do you know if that is blood or dead skin? Or both?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks like both blood and dead skin to me.

5. lauranickerson

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    Do you think he will lose the spikes completely, or maybe just the very tips?

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He doesn't seem to have that bad of frostbite. He'll lose the tips, and maybe a little farther down. However, he won't lose the entire purple areas probably.

7. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    It's necrotic skin, if it's just on the surface it will flake off like a scab if it's deeper then he might loose bits of this waddles and combs. He has plenty of red health tissue. I think it looks worse than it is.

I second the neosporin. Warm it up so it will spread easier then dab it on and spread it around but don't rub it in. I oil the combs (and legs) of all my large/double combed hens in mid November and do it once in a while till mid February. It seems to lessen the severity of frost bite (and they look prettier too!)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  8. lauranickerson

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    I hope he doesn't lose too much. Another one of my roosters in the coop has something that looks similar to this, but not nearly as bad so I put a little on his, too.

I had the *bright* idea to put the neosporin in a dixie cup and warm it up, then brush it on. All good in theory, but as soon as I stepped outside, it hardened again and the brush was just way too soft...sort of like a small basting brush but softer.

I'll keep up with it and replace it when it wears off. I noticed that the Sussex had a few small blisters on his comb today, which might be painful, but is a sign that it is still alive and trying to heal, right?

Did anyone happen to take a look at the video I posted? He was still shaking his head like that tonight. I don't know why...

9. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Frostbite hurts, you'd shake your head too. It looks like he may lose part of his wattles and maybe those spikes too. In the future, if its going to go below freezing, bag balm EVERYONES wattles and combs. Just like a long-distance swimmer greasing up with whale blubber, it really works. Vaseline works too, but it doesn't stay on as well as bag balm. Right now, stick with the triple antibiotic ointment. For anyone who isn't already frostbitten, break out the bag balm/vaseline.

10. lauranickerson

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    Everyone else seems to be okay. This rooster is just a big dum dum and roosted in a tree or something when it got reeeeeeaaally cold. I believe my other rooster that I mentioned last just has a little blood from the alpha picking on him. It doesn't look like frostbite at all, but I put some ointment on anyways.

Thanks for the suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by