Frostbite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmalI, Dec 27, 2014.

1. FarmalI

FarmalI Chirping

Dec 14, 2013
    Does it hurt if my rooster's comb and waddle had been frostbitten a little?

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Songster

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Depends on how badly frostbit they are. Are there visible blisters? Or did it just turn the tips blackish? If they get badly frostbite, the frostbit part can fall off. That can cause it to bleed as well. It usually doesn't happen to that extreme in my case anyways. Mine have got the tips of their combs frost bit. They are fine other than the fact that they are no good for show quality birds.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes it can be hard to prevent frostbite in large combs. Combs can become rounded from tips freezing, and wattles can shorten. A picture of your rooster may help. You may want to raise your waterers to prevent the wattles from getting wet, and make sure that you have good overhead ventilation in the coop to let moisture out of the coop, which can increase chances of frostbite. Iodine applied to frostbitten areas may help prevent infection, and I would not handle or massage the tissue very much.

4. FarmalI

FarmalI Chirping

Dec 14, 2013
    ok, thanks, my roosters waddle and comb is just nipped.

5. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Songster

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    That is good. Sounds like he will be fine[​IMG]

6. Fern Valley 4H

Fern Valley 4H In the Brooder

Hello, I just got the same problem, (he is an andalusian so obnoxiously large comb), will the tips of the comb deffinitely fall off? They are whitish and sort of hard, but I think that the inside is not fully frozen. Will just the outside part fall off? Even with diligent vaseline the cold weather bit :( im just worried that I wont be abke to show him (local 4H shows, so not that big of venues). Thanks anyone/everyone!

7. darkbrahmamama

darkbrahmamama Chirping

Apr 22, 2013
    I have only ever had my roos combs & wattles turn a little black from frostbite. I put bag balm on them when I notice this. Sometimes I'll put Vaseline on them as a preventative.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: