Frostbitten Combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kinney's Urban Ranch, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Kinney's Urban Ranch

Kinney's Urban Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    Capitol Hill, Denver, CO
    We had a bitter cold snap this week after 67 degree weather last weekend. After the sudden temp change, we have 2 girls with a little frostbite on their combs. Should I apply something like A & D or vaseline to their combs, or just let it heal on its own?

Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They will probably heal on their own, but an ointment like A&D or Neosporin might help prevent an infection. Also, since ointments are mostly Vaseline, this should help prevent any more frostbite. (Not a cream, an ointment.)

3. Kinney's Urban Ranch

Kinney's Urban Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    Capitol Hill, Denver, CO
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

I have some A & D that I will go ahead and put on the two that are affected already and if the temps drop again I will treat the other two ladies as a preventitive.

I can't imagine that it feels that good! [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Kinney's Urban Ranch :

[​IMG]
    Thanks!

I have some A & D that I will go ahead and put on the two that are affected already and if the temps drop again I will treat the other two ladies as a preventitive.

I can't imagine that it feels that good! [​IMG]

I'm sure it doesn't. I meant to say, an ointment should also feel good to them.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by