Frostbitten foot fell off. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StarNewc, Jan 29, 2017.

1. StarNewc

StarNewc Just Hatched

Sep 22, 2016
    New York
    Hey all.

My poor chicken flew out of the coop and ended up with frostbite and her one foot fell off...is there a fake foot i can get for her or anything along those lines? I have 11 chickens and shes the only one this happened to. Poor baby.

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

If you have any mercy in your heart at all, you'll put her down.

3. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    I agree

4. StarNewc

StarNewc Just Hatched

Sep 22, 2016
    New York
    I'm debating, but she doesn't seem to be in any pain at all and she's still getting around. Thats's the only reason I asked.

5. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    @Blooie
    she had a frost bit chick

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  6. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I saw a chicken for sale on here or Craigslist or something and it was missing a foot and seemed fine. I guess I would see if she gets around okay. She might have trouble getting onto the roosts or up a ramp is the only thing so you might have to make some modifications for her. But for a chicken, losing a foot is a bigger deal than say a dog or cat losing a leg because they're prey animals plus they only have 2 instead of 4 legs so balance is harder. Putting her down would probably be the kindest thing to do but if she appears to be eating, drinking, and moving around fine otherwise you could see what happens, if you're willing to make some modifications. I will say though that you can't just leave her, you need to check her foot and make sure there is no infection or injury and treat if there is. You also are going go have to make some modifications to your coop and/or your care/maintenance routine so no one else gets frostbite. And some handicap adaptions for her. People do keep handicap chickens, there's even some people with some blind chickens, so if you want, wait and see. But also remember that chickens tend to hide illness so she may be pretending there's no pain

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would suggest that you read a few of the BYC threads here on frostbite in feet. It seems that some chickens can get around okay with only one foot. Losing both feet however, is much worse, and hard to survive without a lot of care. You can search at the top of this page and read other's experiences and then make a plan. Once the stump is healed, you can pad it so that the skin does not break down. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by