Frostbitten Hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ginab213, Jan 29, 2014.

1. ginab213

ginab213 New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    Hello chicken friends.

I have an 8 month old Rhode Island Red hen who's right foot swelled up maybe 1 month ago. I thought she had a sprain/break because there was no injury site, so I isolated her in her own crate in the barn with the rest of the girls for some R/R.

The swelling never went down, and now her middle toe is completely black, with the surrounding toes also dying. I thought that this might be dead tissue from the swelling, but today when I checked her again, the other foot is turning black also, without any sign of swelling. I am baffled.

If the swelling caused the dead tissue on the right foot, what caused the left? If it is frostbite, why was there swelling on one foot? Are the two completely unrelated, she injured her foot and then got frostbite at another time altogether? None of my other hens have frostbite or swelling.

HERE IS RIGHT FOOT W SWELLING:

[​IMG]

HERE IS LEFT FOOT BEGINNING TO DIE:

[​IMG]

HERE IS TOP OF RIGHT TOE THAT DIED FIRST:

[​IMG]

2. BuffBuff123

BuffBuff123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    Köln, Germany
    She could have a disease that makes her tissue die?
    But then again my chickens have black markings on their toes, so it could just be markings, it might be only that toe that will fall off. So it could just be frost bitten on that toe!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think that the swelling from the injury is unrelated to the frostbite. She will probably lose the black toes. Apply some Neosporin, bag balm, or coconut oil to the feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by