frostbitten rooster colorado 8500' more cold coming

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jennmiko, Nov 14, 2014.

1. jennmiko

jennmiko New Egg

Nov 14, 2014
    I'm looking for a chicken mentor that lives in my altitude/area: Colorado, East Slope, 8484'.

The first cold night it got to at least -9 at our house. I put a light layer of vaseline on the roosters comb before bed and the comb was completely healthy and rosy. I have decided that when it gets into the single digits I will add heat so I used a 100 W ceramic black heat bulb that night. The next morning my rooster, Dos Pollas Hermanos, had black on the tips of his comb. We had an equally cold night and the frost bite got worse and included his wattles and he was lethargic (none was dancing that day with a high of 0F . I noticed that I couldn't feel heat from the ceramic light from 12" away so put in the 250 W infrared and left it on all night the third and coldest night -12. He seemed okay the next morning (eating and drinking but not crowing) but there is black now on the sides of his comb and wattles. We will thaw out tomorrow then it will get really cold again (zero-ish). Most the hens also have tiny black spots on their combs. I have a hydrometer by their roost and its reading 16% but i'm starting to wonder that maybe the hydrometer froze in such cold temps? Its a sloped roof coop with ventilation about 1' above their heads on both sides: E/W. We also live in an extremely dry climate even when it snows. So next cold snap (sat):
    a) how bad does the frostbite have to be to decide to put one inside vs leaving him with the flock?
    b) best treatment? (I read neosporin and went a bought neosporin + spray so I didn't have to rub his comb then read pain relief spray can be toxic :(
    c) should I be leaving the light on every night since they are already frostbitten?
    d) could this have happened to hardy breeds (they are 7.5 months old: 3 EE, 1 BO, 2 Wyandottes, 1 austalorp and 1 australorp rooster) just because this area had such a mild fall then it snapped so hard? I have lived here 8 years and never seen below zero except in jan or feb. I've read this breeds fare well in colder/draftier conditions.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you joined the flock. Sorry to hear your roo is having problems. @Mountain Peeps is from Colorado and has great advice for the weather you experience there I'm sure if you PM her or she should get this as I've mentioned her she will be able to help you.

Hope your roo is better soon and you get through the cold weather ok :frow

3. jennmiko

jennmiko New Egg

Nov 14, 2014
    Thanks for help ... he is fine now!

4. jennmiko

jennmiko New Egg

Nov 14, 2014
    the help was invauable

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by