Frostbitten rooster with bulge on left side of his neck

Michelle_Mel

Chirping
Nov 22, 2020
Northern Massachusetts
Hi everyone, I have a 6 month old Jersey Giant rooster with large wattles that were frostbitten over the weekend. He's been lethargic and his head was down for the past few days due to the heaviness of the swelling. I've been giving him water with a syringe since and offering egg with very little interest. I noticed yesterday that he has a large bulge on the left side of his neck. I'm not sure if he's just sticking his shoulder out to help hold his head up or if it could be something else
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20230208_195732195.jpg
    PXL_20230208_195732195.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20230208_195717439.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230208_195717439.MP.jpg
    844.2 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for responding. I’ve only gently touched it because he seemed to be in so much pain from the frostbite. He’s not one to usually let me get near him but I will inspect it closer when I get home.

Is it hard or soft? Tell us if it feels like air under the skin. That can be a leaking air sac from banging into something. Air can be removed with a hypodermic needle inserted just under the skin.

Thank you for responding. It feels like his “shoulder”. I think he may be hunching his neck back because his wattles are so painful. He’s doing a little better today. Fingers crossed he’ll progress some more tomorrow.

Oh, thank you. I’m not familiar with that, I will have to look it up. The wattle swelling has gone down a bit and he was finally able to eat on his own. He also went up on the roost tonight which is definitely an improvement. I will definitely update again. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom