Frosting help----Edit 1st Post

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by cmb19, Aug 12, 2010.

1. cmb19

cmb19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    PA
    I'm entering a cake in the Hershey's cake contest at my local fair and I didn't realize that, oh hey, the fair is next week, I have to make a cake Sunday. I know which cake I want to make, but I don't know what frosting would be good...the cake recipe doesn't have a frosting recipe with it. I don't have time to make cupcakes and different frostings to test it out so I need some advice.

This is the cake I'm going to make. Black Magic Cake
    http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/rec...=1&ICID=KH1001&rectypecat=Cakes and Frostings

These 2 links have frosting listed with the cakes, I just don't want to make these 2 cakes. I'm thinking the chocolate buttercream from the first link or the perfectly chocolate frosting on the second link. What do all of you think? I don't eat cake, I just like to bake them so this is hard for me. [​IMG]

Buttercream
    http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/rec...=1&ICID=KH1001&rectypecat=Cakes and Frostings

Perfectly chocolate
    http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/rec...1&ICID=KH1001&rectypecat=Cakes and Frostings#

If you have other frosting that might work well with this cake and it's coffee flavoring, let me know. I don't HAVE to use a chocolate frosting, but if it does have chocolate in it, it has to use a certain amount of Hershey's cocoa..1/4 cup I believe. I could just use a white buttercream I guess...[​IMG]

ETA: I completely forgot to update this way thread back in AUGUST [​IMG] after the fair...buuuut I WON 2ND PLACE!! I used the Black Magic Cake and the chocolate buttercream frosting. Thanks for all your opinions. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    This frosting has been in my family for a very long time and is a favorite. It has the consistency of a thick pudding and stays soft and moist. The picture below is this frosting on a yellow cake.

Glossy Chocolate Frosting

Mix together:
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    5 tablespoons cocoa
    1/2 tablespoon butter
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Stir in 1 cup boiling water and cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
    Add 1/2 stick of butter and 2 teaspoons vanilla.

Microwave instructions:

Mix dry ingredients in a large microwave safe bowl.

Heat water to boiling in microwave and add to dry ingredients. Beat with a wire wipe.

Cook 1 minute on high in microwave and stir well.

Cook 1 more minute on high and stir well.

Cook 30 seconds longer and stir well.

Add 1/2 stick butter and 2 teaspoons vanilla, stir well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    The Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate frosting is a household favorite here. I also use the Wilton's chocolate butter cream recipe if I am decorating (stiffer frosting). Good luck!

Also, when I make the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Frosting recipe I do not melt the butter as directed. I just use it softened.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Quote:I'm gonna go with my gut and tastebuds with MHO. This cake sounds like it drips with the taste of coffee. I am a (reformed) coffeeholic, who used to make it through the day drinking the black brew. I take mine black and I love to have something sweet with it, instead of with milk, like my family prefers.
    If you have other frosting that might work well with this cake and it's coffee flavoring, let me know. I don't HAVE to use a chocolate frosting, but if it does have chocolate in it, it has to use a certain amount of Hershey's cocoa..1/4 cup I believe. I could just use a white buttercream I guess...[​IMG]

Therefore, I can tell you that your frosting needs to be sweet. I like the suggestion of chocolate buttercream.

BettyR, that frosting sounds super yummy, but I think the consistency in summer temperatures would be a problem. Sounds GREAT for the Holidays!!
    (BTW, we have the same first name!!!) [​IMG]

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You could start with the basic Chocolate buttercream frosting and add a teaspoon or more of instant espresso powder to the mix. You could also coarse grind coffee beans and add to the frosting. A little will go a long ways in the frosting. I would use a least a chocolate frosting on the cake regardless of which recipe you decide on. Chocolate on chocolate always works in my book.

6. cmb19

cmb19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    PA
    Thanks everyone, I was leaning towards the chocolate buttercream, but since I don't eat cake, I wasn't sure what would go best. Not to mention, I wasn't sure if a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting would be too much for most people. Chocolate is my weakness. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by