1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frosty the rooster. I tried my hardest :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Piperstar, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Piperstar

Piperstar New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Probably about 2 weeks ago I spotted a rooster in the front yard. He couldn't put his foot down and was getting picked on by the other birds. I went outside and rescued him. I let him sit in the bathroom for awhile before bringing him back outside to see how he did.

The next morning he was back to limping. I brought him back inside. After spraying his feet off in the tub I realized he had a little frostbite between his toes on his right foot. I put some Neosporin on it and left it be. We used to have rabbits but no longer. I took one of the rabbit cages into the bathroom where I was keeping him. After placing newspaper, Some cow grain (It had added molasses. I figured some sugars would be good for him), and a water dish, I put him inside. His comb was also awfully frostbit and there was almost no red left. The name Frosty just stuck

I repeated the rinse and apply Neosporin every morning for 3 days. After awhile he started to smell less like poo and more like some other awful smell, rotting foot. His toes got darker and darker with frostbite. One morning he lost one of his toes. We had to snip the other one off. It was dead he didn't feel a thing. The middle toe looked fine. I hoped he would keep in for some extra support.

A couple days later his middle toe turned black as well. We had to help him lose that one to. After all of his toes died we wrapped his leg in a paper towel and an ace bandage, and hoped that it would be enough pressure so that whatever was dead would fall off.

I took care of him everyday for some while. I switched him off of the molasses grain and let him just eat plain cow oats. He had started to eat around the grain and pecked the corn out. I switched his newspaper, Watered him, and fed him plenty. He seemed to be perfectly content. He even started to crow after he got used to being inside.

After awhile we decided to check his leg and let him outside if his injury's would allow. We carefully unwrapped the bandage only to hear a crack noise. His leg had broken. We unwrapped his leg the rest of the way. His leg was bleeding where it had broken and he wouldn't put it down at all. He was suffering now.
    My mom said "I don't know what to do for this poor chicken anymore! I wish we could just put him out of his misery"
    We had talked about it before but for the first time did I agree that it was the best thing to do. We all talked to him and said bye. After deciding the fastest most painless way to kill him, we took him outside and humanly put him down.

We brought his lifeless body inside and plucked a couple pretty feathers to keep. I wish we could have eaten him instead of putting his body to waste. The infection in his leg was so bad it wouldn't have been safe to eat. That night I had a bit of an anxiety attack. I hadn't slept well the night before. Between that and losing frosty it was very stressful. I felt trapped in my own body until I let the tears flow. Somewhere in the 2 weeks Frosty became more off a pet then a project (I really just wanted to see if I could do it) R.I.P Frosty

2. PBGGG

PBGGG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    Maine
    Aww, I'm so sorry. Our neighbors rooster likes to come over here because we have ducks, and earlier this year we had to bring him inside because he wasn't doing so well. He had a lot of frostbite on his comb and most of his wattles. The black on his comb fell off but his wattles were frozen in a weird position. A few days later he was pacing around his cage in the living room so we let him out. Later that night I put the ducks away and checked on him and his leg was frozen. It was sticking out behind him so he had a limp. We brought him back inside and soaked it in warm water. It wasn't so stiff but he still had a limp. A few days after that, he was pacing again and gave our first inside rooster a bloody spot on his comb. We gave him back to the neighbors on Saturday. Poor Rooster Cogburn and poor Frosty! I'm sorry for your loss. Frostbite is really just awful with animals.

3. Piperstar

Piperstar New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    The saddest part is that his comb completely healed. I thought he was doing so good!
    [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry. [​IMG] I know how hard it must have been to put him down. But you did the right thing. And you were there taking care of him. You did the best you could and having saved him, I am sure he appreciated the act of kindness done to him. I am sorry your heart is so heavy. [​IMG]

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry about Frosty. You did the best you could to nurse him back to health.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm so very sorry. The ones we try to save quickly make it into our hearts. You did all you could for him. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by