frothy eye getting worse

lovehens

Chirping
Oct 16, 2014
Hi. Have never taken part in a forum before so please be patient;) i have one chicken who has frothy eye and swollen sinuses. Have read lots and lots of advice and now trying baytril twice a day and giving water in syringes. Not readyto give up. She has been to vets 4 times but that stresses her out so treating at home now. Washing eyes with boiled water (cooled) with salt. She finds it hard to see and hates me cleaning her eyes. Fed her scrambled egg and weetabix but didn't eat very much. Poultry spice added to layers pellets i have just started today. Please help.

Welcome to BYC. It sounds like you are treating mycoplasma (MG or CRD.) Coryza may be a problem if you notice a foul odor. Baytril is as good an antibiotic as you can get. The vitamins in the poultry spice are good, and I would add probiotics if you haven't already. Try adding some water to the chicken pellets to make a porridge. Most chickens will eat boiled or scrambled egg. Here is a good recipe for making normal saline--many recipes call for too much salt: https://suite.io/kathy-quan/64b22y
Here is a good link about the common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks so much. Yes the recipe I used was one cup boiling water and one teaspoon of salt. Maybe that has made it worse bless her. Just made porridge as suggested so will go and feed it to her. Fingers crossed.

Baytril is quite bitter and many won't drink the medicated water, so you might want to try giving it orally instead. Call your vet and ask them how much you should give orally.

-Kathy

Kathy, I think she is giving the Baytril twice a day. Antibiotic eye drops or ointment is a good idea. If you are in the UK, you will probably need to get it from the vet, where we in the US can often find Terramycin eye ointment at feed store, and of course, many of us use Neosporin or Bacitracin ointment.

Kathy, I think she is giving the Baytril twice a day. Antibiotic eye drops or ointment is a good idea. If you are in the UK, you will probably need to get it from the vet, where we in the US can often find Terramycin eye ointment at feed store, and of course, many of us use Neosporin or Bacitracin ointment.
Thanks, I mis-read that. Was on the ipad without my glasses!
old.gif

-Kathy

Don't think she is going to make it. Not sure what to do. She didn't want to come out of her house this morning for the first time. I took her out and gave her some water through a syringe. Held her for a while but think she would prefer to be in her house with no stress. Though feel like I should hold her if she hasn't got long. Or could take her to vets (20 minute drive) to put her to sleep so she is not suffering.

Don't think she is going to make it. Not sure what to do. She didn't want to come out of her house this morning for the first time. I took her out and gave her some water through a syringe. Held her for a while but think she would prefer to be in her house with no stress. Though feel like I should hold her if she hasn't got long. Or could take her to vets (20 minute drive) to put her to sleep so she is not suffering.
Sorry that she is not doing well. Do you have electrolytes to give her orally? She may need to be wormed up in the house, or with a heat lamp in the coop, since sick chickens need extra heat. Here is a recipe for homemade electrolytes:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
Salt substitute

Last edited:
She needs to be in a warm room or crate, 80-85 degrees is ideal and she needs to be tubed fluids if she isn't drinking on her own . Sick birds are alomost always hypothermic and dehydrated, so you must addrees those issues first. Tubing is very easy and *much* safe than syringing water and I'd be more than happy to teach you how if you can get the tube and syringe. Call your vet and ask them for a size 18 french rubber catheter and catheter tip syringe.

If they have email, email them these pictures:

The average sick chicken need 30ml of fluids per 2.2 pounds every 6 hours.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom