frothy foamy material in one of my Rocks eye.

RE1947

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2015
This evening I noticed a whitish foamy looking material in one of my Rocks eyes. She was acting totally normal in every way, eating, running around with the other Rocks, etc. Any ideas? I cleaned the material out with a sterile gauze pad and instilled a drop of opthalmic prednisone that I use. My best guess is some kind of a scratch to the area or at worst an infection? Any way I'll keep an "eye" on it. But if any one has experience with this condition please help. Thanks

Foamy eyes can be a sign of an eye injury or infection, mycoplasma (MG,) a respiratory infection, but I have noticed one of my hens has foamy eyes that occur with very cold temperatures, and clear up during the same day. With a respiratory infection such as MG, there may be other symptoms, such as runny nose, sneezing, cough, noisy breathing, or gasping. Antibiotics such as Tylan 50injectable given orally or as an injection, or oxytetracycline can treat respiratory diseases from MG or bacteria. If you aren't seeing any other symptoms, you may want to watch her for a few days. Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel would also be good to use after cleaning the eye.

Thanks for your reply. I will check her tomorrow morning and if I don't see it's better I will try an antibiotic. It doesn't get very cold here in southern calif so hoping it's not a respiratory problem. I haven't seen any signs or symptoms today that would indicate a respiratory issue. Hopefully this will clear up.

Back
Top Bottom