1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

fround a broody hen today:)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KWAK, Jul 7, 2011.

1. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    She has been missing for 11 days!
    she was sitting on 20 eggs so i candled them, 3 duds:( 17 live and growing:)!!!!

ps. She is a White legghorn... Are they good moms? i will let her hatch them and see how she acts for a few days.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wow. Leghorns are not one of the breeds normally known for broodiness! Cherish her!

Hope she follows through and raises those chicks. [​IMG]

3. KWAK

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    She has gone broody 3 times, never let her hatch them but i didnt find her until day 11 so i decided to give it a go:).

4. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    20 eggs under a little leghorn! Wow wee!! I'd love to see how she manages that.

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:I was just thinking that exact same thing! She must be doing the equivalent of a chicken yoga stretch to cover them all!

I've never heard of a broody Leghorn before. Think it's rather unusual.

6. KWAK

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Im not quite sure how she covered them all! she is tiny! actually my smallest hen! haha.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Agreed -- I think I've read of it only once before. She ought to make a great mama, as fierce as Leghorns can be!

Best of luck!

8. 4-hmother

4-hmother Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Spencer, Indiana
    [​IMG]:barnieHalf of my whole flock of Jersey Giants have turned up broody this week that is a total of 5 hens..I was done hatching chicks til the fall....But I have decided to let all five set on 10 eggs each to see what we get and let them raise them them self....I think I can put all the chicks that hatch under 2 hens and let the other 3 go back to laying. I do have a question. If I put the three hens in individial cages a way from any chicks how long will it be before the will start laying again? [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by