1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frozen Afro on Polish?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmer4eva, Jan 23, 2013.

1. farmer4eva

farmer4eva Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011

hi, so I have a Polish chicken and it must be when she is drinking or somthing she gets her afro wet and because its so cold all the individual feathers freeze. It looks like she has icicles hanging in her face. now that there all drooping down there pulling on her head causing it to be red and bleed alittle. none of our other polish have this problem only she does. so i was wondering if i could just cut the feathers short enough so they dont fall in the water. Thanks!

2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I suppose you could, I don't see how it could hurt her. I have a silkie and a couple of showgirls that were having the same problem and I just hung a 60 watt bulb over the area where they drink and eat. No frozen water and no frozen feathers.

3. farmer4eva

farmer4eva Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    thanks! thats a good idea, i'll try that

4. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by