Frozen Bugs for Winter Feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by so lucky, Feb 5, 2012.

1. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Reading different people's comments about wanting to raise meal worms to ensure that their chickens have wintertime protein, I wanted to suggest trapping Japanese Beetles in the summer. Last summer I only had one beetle trap, but I was able to trap and freeze about one and a half gallons of beetles. I had the trap hanging in the chicken yard, to give the girls some entertainment. This summer I will have at least two, in different parts of the lawn. The traps cost $8 to $10, and work on pheremones, so no danger to the birds. I raise meal worms too, as well as red wigglers. All cheap fun![​IMG]

2. chicken-wish

chicken-wish Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    This is a very good idea! I'll have to try this myself. I wonder we have Japanese Beetles in Montana? Even if we don't there are tons of other beetles and insects, I could catch and freeze. Thanks for sharing that great idea! [​IMG]

3. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    This is a great idea! Thank you for sharing! I have designs to build one and have it ready for warmer weather! Free food for the girls! What is not to love about that! Awesome! You rock! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by