1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

frozen chicken waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by oxfordethan, Jul 13, 2011.

1. oxfordethan

oxfordethan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    I read on BYC about using frozen jugs of water to keep the girls cool. I set a half gallon milk jug on its side under the coop, where my 2 hens hang out most of the day. We set it out in the a.m. and it's melted by the time we get home to let them out to free-range. Then...I got an idea about a frozen auto waterer. Here's the prototype. Half gallon frozen milk jug held in place with some bungees (If it works ok I'll make a more user friendly version), got it dripping into a old Christmas cookie pan.

[​IMG]

BTW...they still have their little 1 qt. waterer as a backup for now. We hit 104 the other day here in north MS.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Looks like a good idea. Drink the cold waterer and enjoy the breeze off the jug.

3. oxfordethan

Apr 11, 2011
    Ok. I went out this a.m. to find the bottle all but 1/4 full. The bowl was full and the water was very cool. Keep in mind this was overnight, not during the sweltering day time heat. I plan on building some type of holder for the bottle tonight. The bungee squeezes the bottle as it melts. This will probably lead to cracks in the bottle and they won't last as long. I want to make something where i can just "drop" the bottle into it.

4. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Dont they sell pet waterers that take a 2 liter bottle? The bottle screws into the water dish.

5. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's a great idea BairleaFarm! [​IMG]

6. oxfordethan

Apr 11, 2011
    Quote:That's a great idea BairleaFarm! [​IMG]

going to the pet store today!

7. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    The only problem might be if the ice melts to fast there bowl might overflow.

8. oxfordethan

Apr 11, 2011
    Quote:The water stops flowing out once the level reaches the opening of the bottle.

9. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I think that is a great idea.

10. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Sorry just had to bump up this thread because I wanted to share that I made something very similar yesterday, except used it for feed. I just used an empty 2 liter pop bottle filled it with feed (by slicing to end for easy access to refill it) bungy corded it to a post upside down and put an old pie pan underneath. The feed pours out until it reaches the neck of the bottle, and as my ducks eat the food, the feed will go below the neck and it will automatically refill. Same concept as the OP's frozen waterer.

Quick cheap and easy auto feeder/waterer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by