Frozen Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lonesome Dough, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Lonesome Dough

Lonesome Dough Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2017
    SC Mpntana
    If I had my flock started yet that's what I would have here in south central Montana, it was 17 below when I left the house. This is my first post having just joined so I'll probably just lurk for a while until I get some girls, might even take until next year. Dad and I raised chickens back in Indiana but that was 40 years ago so I know the basics just need a refresher course. My wife and I bought 4 acres with a bunch of out buildings one which had been a 20x30 coop but was cobbled up into three separate rooms with a feed room. I've gutted it out and am going to partition a 10x20 coop, insulated and sheeted with OSB. The property had an old dog run made out of 4x8 chain link panels which will become an 8x12 run 8 feet high, no need to duck in that pen.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC!

Check out the Learning Center. It's got tons of great info on pretty much everything.

Also, you might want to join your state thread and hear from other chicken owners that know with what is best for your climate and region.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Lonesome Dough, and [​IMG]! Great to have you have here! My wife is from Montana and misses it dearly. Seems a little cold for my taste. As TheKindaFarmGal suggested above, the Learning Center will give you a great refresher. A couple of the articles within it deal with raising chickens in a cold climate. Best wishes to you and your return to the chicken lifestyle!!! [​IMG]

4. dawnmt70

dawnmt70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2016
    Billings, Montana
    Hey Lonesome Dough! Welcome to the neighborhood. I'd love to have a few acres but pretty stuck in town. (Elderly mother lives next door.) Still going to do what I can toward being self sufficient! Sounds like you have a great plot of land!

5. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Welcome to the forums. I'm from NW Montana. My girls are in an coop that is not insulated. But then, they only sleep in it. They are outside every day. Coldest we got this winter was -22. We have some people around the forums who get even colder weather. Do some research and reading before you spend the money to insulate a coop.

Heck, we're doing okay and the furnace died yesterday. Am waiting, somewhat impatiently for someone to come give us an estimate to fix the furnace or replace it. Thank goodness for space heaters.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Lonesome Dough [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great links, I will just add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome. I shivered just reading about your low temperature. The other year we hit -10 and that was waaaay too cold. There are people on this list from Alaska so just pick cold hardy breeds and you should be fine. Mine were fine at -10 and we have a more insulated coop now.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I understand the Chanticleer breed originated in Canada to survive bitter cold weather. A friends breeds them in Alberta, Canada and they sure do well for her.

You may want to check for folks that have that breed available.

9. Bantambird

Bantambird Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2013
    Montana
    There is a chantecler breeder in Helena that raises Partridge chantecler. I'll have to find my card wherever I left it if you want me to remember his name, but they are definitely hardy.

10. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It sounds like you are on the start of a wonderful adventure with 4 acres and outbuildings. Best of luck to you and if you have questions, always feel free to ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by