Frozen dead chick now alive and well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ruth, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Upon entering the coop this morning I discovered that the electricty had gone out sometime during the night or early morning and of course it was on our coldest night ever, low 40s. I rush to bin of 60 assorted baby chicks and everyone but one is running around and chirping loudly - both for food and because their two lights were out.

There was one poor "dead" chick on bottom of brooder and of course it was getting trampled over. Once I discovered why the electricty was off (seems someone must have stepped on the power strip and turned it off) I got the heat and lights and heater back on and proceeded to remove the dead chick from the bin.

It's body was very cold but not stiff. I just thought rigormortis must not have set in yet. I put the dead chick in my pocket while I proceeded to get everyone cared for.

I brought the chick inside to examine it and make sure it was really dead before disposing of it. I thought I felt movement but couldn't be sure. I opened its eye and it was still bright, not clouded over. But the chick was cold and lifeless and not moving and I could not see any sign of breathing.

I spent 30 minutes holding the chick up to the blowers on our new pellet stove - all the while rubbing its body and moving its head and wings and legs. After half an hour, I began to feel movement when I pulled on its legs, they pulled back. Still I'm thinking death throws.

Something in me just couldn't or wouldn't give up. I prayed continuously for the little chick. Then I heard it.........twittering sounds. Still no movement, no nothing, but twittering.

It took over 45 minutes but finally it opened its eyes and started to sit up. It is now eating and drinking and running around in a brooder in the house that already had 4 little chicks with special needs in it. My DH calls it the hospital room. One chick was weak but now better and the other had a twisted neck and would flop over and spin around but now its better and the other two little ones were put in there to keep them company.

I'm not sure what breed this little chick is. It has the top hat like the Polish that came in the assortment of chicks but it has the extra toes. I had another one like this but it died after the first few days. Was very weak and despite being in the hospital brooder just finally died about the time I thought it was strong and eating on its own.

I truly can't believe that this little guy warmed up thawed out and lived. Thank you Lord.

I now need a special name for this little chick - something like Lazarus.

2. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Good story I just love a happy ending!!!!!!

3. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Wonderful,

Sounds like lazarus would be a good name for this one.

lol...

Jena

4. rubyv67

rubyv67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Daggett,CA
    Call it Miracle. It might be a Houdan? I love the happy ending.

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    [​IMG]

6. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    I had a similar situation last winter. We had no clue where the hen was sitting and only found out when she started hatching they were chirping. Over 1/2 were already dead but we manage to get 4 of them inside. I thought for sure 3 were dead or almost there - no movement ect. We stuck them in a shoe box with hay covered the box and put them near a space heater that rotated. Pretty soon there was lots of chirping, 3 were up and jumping only one was still sitting with eyes cloed, head hanging down. We gave them a vew more minutes and the 4th one perked up. I had called a frined to come and get them, I had no clue what to do with chicks. After she got them "raised" she returned them and everyone is fine today. In fact one hen just hatched her second set.

7. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Great story. It reaminds me of the one from Natural History of the Chicken. In that story, a hen is left outside overnight when temperatures are well below frezing. She is frozen solid, and the owner brings her in and sets her on the table. Long story short, she lives! Great documentary if you haven't seen it yet! Good luck with your chicks!

8. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    to bad you didn't video tape this. maybe we can do a reenactment and send it to those History of the Chicken people!

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Thanks for the Houdan info - that's what it is. I knew Houdans were listed in the assortment of hatching eggs I received but didn't know what that was. I only had the one other but I have lots of Polish but they don't have the extra long toes.

10. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Well I was simultaneously too busy trying to rub it down; moving every body part to get blood circulating; talking to it and telling it "it would not die today, it was not its time, not today, not like this" praying out loud and feeling like an idiot because the devil was there telling me the chick was dead and I was wasting my time.

Again, half an hour of not a single sign of life then finally twittering, slight movement, and then opening eyes.

Miracle sounds like a good name since it applies to boy or girl.

I'll get a pic posted soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by