Frozen ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by allanimals21, Dec 31, 2010.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    ok...so here in MN we have some really crappy weather. Well yesterday it rained last night I froze. Some of my birds ducks and chickens apparently weren't smart enough to stay out of the water last night and have gobs of ice on them. What is the best way to handle this?

2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Some of my birds ducks and chickens apparently weren't smart enough to stay out of the water last night and have gobs of ice on them. What is the best way to handle this?

I wouldn't do anything unless the birds are bothered by it. Bring them inside if you have too, if it's warmer. To get the ice off you may have to use cool water or just wrap them in a towel. I would probably leave them be if they were ok. That's just me though.​

3. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Quote:I wouldn't do anything unless the birds are bothered by it. Bring them inside if you have too, if it's warmer. To get the ice off you may have to use cool water or just wrap them in a towel. I would probably leave them be if they were ok. That's just me though.

Thats kind of what I thought. Some of them look quite unhappy but i figured I through down some extra hay for them to lay in. See how they look later on. there were 2 ducks that I brought in the building and hosed off. They were pretty bad. I left them to dry out and warm up inside in a cage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by