Frozen eggs - are they ruined?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by fmernyer, Dec 7, 2015.

1. fmernyer

fmernyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    I had an abundance of eggs this summer so I froze them. I'm not really sure what I was thinking because I've read plenty of threads about scrambling them a bit and throwing in a pinch of salt - but I saw a post where she froze them with the yolk intact so that's what I did.

Defrosting them - the yolk is really hard and sludgy - almost like it was medium boiled.

Did I ruin these eggs? Can I use them for anything at all besides feeding back to my chickens??

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can use them for eating. If my eggs freeze in the nest, I keep them frozen until I want to use them and then thaw slowly just before cooking. They're entirely edible.

3. fmernyer

fmernyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    Thanks! When you defrost them - are the yolks weird? Mine never really get runny after freezing them - they're just kind of - gelled? Are there things that your previously frozen eggs work best in? Things that they totally do NOT work in?

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    My wife and I can't recall anything different. There are ice crystals that form in the yolk and albumen but when thaw, they should be good for cooking or baking.

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Can't fry them. They are best for baking Christmas cookies.

6. 4Ever Farms

4Ever Farms Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    Just don't fry them!!!

7. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Why?

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can eat them fried, they just don't look right. The yolk stays in a ball.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by