frozen eggs = Mayo?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ScoobyRoo, Nov 29, 2008.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I've been freezing a lot of eggs for that slow laying period. My question is can you make mayo from previously frozen eggs. I would thaw and bring to room temperature then make the mayo. Has anyone done this before and what were the results. Miss Prissy I hope you have an answer for me in no one else does.
    Thanks, K

2. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    This is an interesting question..I don't have an answer to your question...I didn't know that you could freeze eggs. When you freeze them doesn't the shell crack. I thought you had to throw frozen eggs away!! Input any one? [​IMG]

3. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    chickenchickenbulkbulk - you can freeze eggs and use them later but you take them out of the shell- you can freeze them in say cupcake pans and then pop them out and put them in a ziplock or try ice cube trays.

I don't know about the mayo?

4. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Oh!! [​IMG] When the eggs thaw out, do they change as far as there texture? If they don't I would think they would be okay for mayo..wouldn't you? Try it and let us know. I have never made mayo. DeeJay

5. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    After 3 tries, I finally made mayo. I hated wasting all that oil and eggs on the first several batches. My stick blender doesn't whip fast enough so now I use my regular blender. That is why I wondered if anyone has ever made mayo from previously frozen eggs so I don't waste all the ingredients if it doesn't work. DeeJay, You need to add sugar or salt to the yolk to keep it from getting gummy. I have been freezing a lot of eggs to prepare myself for when the hens start moulting or go on strike.[​IMG] You can google 'freezing chicken eggs' and it will give you more info. I guess when the time comes I'll give it a try.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I bake with the eggs I freeze. Freezing will change the texture but I have no clue about the mayonaise. I always use a fresh egg when I make it.

7. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Thanks MP, I figured if anyone knew, it would be you. If I get in a deperate situation I may have to try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by