1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frozen eggs ok to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jennyhaschicks, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Saturday we had some Christmas shopping to do. We checked for eggs before we left and by the time we had gotten home hours later 4 out of our 8 eggs were frozen. (the most we have ever gotten in one day [​IMG])
    Dh has a friend who says he still eats them after they have froze. I don't know if I believe this guy.
    I hard boiled the eggs and I am feeding them to my rats since I don't want them to go to waste.
    So can are they good for human consumption?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
  3. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    I find them to be tough after being frozen. Maybe just me. That said, I would not do so. Personal choice. I already get more than we can use and sell a few so why take a chance. I say take a chance because frozen to me means a cracked shell. THis COULD be an avenue for bacteria to enter the egg. Maybe not important if fully cooked but I like mine over easy. Just me. ....

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    An egg that froze enough to expand and crack, may be contaminated. Many people cook those up for their pets. I'm sure a few people eat them. I think most throw them away.

Other eggs have just started to freeze and haven't cracked. Those are perfectly safe to eat, but may have a textural change. They may be better scrambled, as an omelet or used in baking, rather than sunny side up. That's the general recommendation for eggs you freeze on purpose, as a storage option. The only difference is that when we freeze them on purpose, we don't do it in the shell, we use a freezer container. I think most people also scramble the yolks into the white before freezing.

I don't think there are any studies on how long a previously frozen egg is good for, in the refrigerator. I use mine fairly soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by