1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

frozen eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RockyToggRanch, Nov 25, 2008.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I don't get many eggs yet as my girls are young and so is our routine. It has been cold here the past week. 9 degrees to 30 degrees. I have found a few eggs that must have had a chance to freeze. Maybe overnight. They want to lay in the corner of the horse stalls. Question is..what are the uses for theses possibly frozen eggs? What's the limit for use? A day or two? Right now freezing can happen in hours. I'm trying to bribe them to lay inside where they'll be good til I find them...but ..you know how they can be.

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Eggs freeze very quickly here in SD. They are fine to eat. The biggest problem is that they often split open when they freeze, and can become contaminated with whatever. When that happens, I usually discard them. The only way to keep them from freezing is to gather them often each day, or to heat the nests.

3. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:JHM - do you think a seedling heat mat would provide enough heat for a nest box? They're not expensive (I got mine on Ebay for about 1/3 less than what they normally cost). These mats are waterproof and can be plugged into a thermostat. The size is 10 x 20 inches.

The only problem I can see is that they don't get all that warm - they'll raise the ambient temp only to about 10-20 degrees over the air temp, but inside a coop that might still be okay.

Just an idea.

Phyllis

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think I heard somewhere that you can actually eat frozen eggs. But I'm not to sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by