Frozen eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kristenm1975, Dec 16, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    We're having a rare cold snap here in the Puget Sound area and my hens have finally just begun laying again, but now when I go out to collect them, I find them all frozen.

I am gone 15 hours out of the day and don't have any way to collect them during that time. Is there any down-home, non-gadget method of preventing this? I only say non-gadget because I don't have any extra cash to throw at this problem and need a cheap or better yet free solution.

Any ideas welcome! [​IMG]

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

All I can tell you is to make sure your coop is draft free and well insulated.

3. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Quote:I live over in Port Orchard(near Bremerton) and am having the same issue, except that I just keep having to go out more often and checking for eggs......but last night we had two that cracked and were frozen.

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I can't think of anything other than keeping the nest boxes (and probably the whole coop) above freezing. There are thermostat plugs that kick on at 35F and turn off at 45F, so you could plug in a couple of heat lamps on the nests.

5. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    What about putting a heat lamp over the nest box (far enough away to not be a fire hazard that is. Course, then you may have chickies fighting over who gets to sleep in there....

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I find that as long as I don't leave them in overnight that they don't freeze... try collecting later in the afternoon once all laying is done.

7. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for all the tips folks! I think the only one that's going to work right away for me is to make sure I gather them as soon as I get home. I remembered that I hadn't gathered them last night so I'll just make sure I do that tonight.

8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Do you have some neighbor kid who could collect the eggs after he gets home from school? My son does this and gets a big kick out of it, plus the eggs are not frozen yet.

9. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    i just brought in some frozen eggs also,been too cold below zero right now i think here in E oregon

10. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Mr. Frizzles Hen House Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    I'm in this freezing cold snap of WA too over hear in Seabeck. My coop is not insulated and my eggs haven't frozen yet. I check in the am when I open the door to their pen and then again in the late afternoon close to roosting time. Water on the other hand is a pain in the rear. I had to get another waterer because the top froze shut on me. Those things are not cheap. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by