1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frozen eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Jan 7, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Can eggs that have froze be incubated? I went to check for eggs at 9ish and there were none. Went out at 11:30 there were two - one was still warm and one was fairly frozen. I was just curious. Are they OK to eat if they are froze?

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Ok to eat if not cracked open, they are ruined for incubating.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:It must be really cold where you are, last week I forgot and left some Cochin eggs sitting outside all night and it got down to the mid to low 20's. I just knew they would be frozen so I decided to feed them back to the birds and when I threw them down on the ground they weren't frozen. The shells were cold as ice but the inside was ok. (well from what I could tell the yoke and white was still runny)

Steve in NC

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I've collected a few chicken eggs that have been very cold, too, but not broken. (My quail eggs freeze in a matter of minutes and the shell cracks.... I toss those) I've been marking them as "cold", and setting them anyway to see if they'll hatch.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    btw we eat them even if they are cracked- dont think I'd trust em to keep, but we just cook with em the same day, for baking with or for scrambling they are fine.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They can still hatch if they get really cold. Even down below 32F. Eggs don't seem to freeze at the same point as water. Not everything freezes at 32. I have some eggs developing in the incubator right now that were out in 20F for half a day and 1 I don't know how long it was out in our near 0 temps. It was sitting off to the side of the heat lamp area but the water in the containers next to it were frozen. If they aren't cracked they may not have frozen yet and might still incubate.

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:Yay! I'm very hopeful, then!

8. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Oki I threw it in anyway - that makes two in there that felt "frozen" I had one more but it was smashed.

9. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:ihope they develope for ya! Keep us updated!

You too Ak! and Akan!!! [​IMG]

10. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    The one that was smashed the other day was congealed but not frozen solid. I think one of the other pullets stepped on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by