1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frozen eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ridgefire, Jan 16, 2009.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    This stupid -20 weather is ruining my eggs

Because of work I can only gather eggs twice a day.

I went out today and found 5 eggs in the nest frozen solid, and the shells cracked. Didnt know what else to do so I tossed them to the dogs. They really liked them. Too bad I didnt fill my orders for the week. Glad its only family and coworkers I sell to.

Its also fun chipping ice out of the waterer everyday too.

2. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I feel your pain-- it was -33 here overnight, and still below 0 now. Fortunately, we can check every hour or 2 for eggs. Even so-- we've had 3 frozen out of 12 so far today. We're using the frozen ones ( they weren't solid frozen-- but starting to freeze and cracked the shells) for baking today so they don't go to waste.

Right now, we're one of the few in the area who has eggs for sale-- so watch--- we'll be overrun with customers this weekend and run out! I guess that's what we get, living way up north.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

It is so cold here that in just a matter of an hour to 2 they are freezing.

4. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    ... its the GLOBAL WARMING.........[​IMG]

next year, we will be picking up COOKED eggs,, (because of the iceage)

5. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i feel your frozen egg pain.found 2 frozen eggs twice this week on floor of coop. have two new layers think there spitting them out on the floor and then there freezing.

6. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I tried to clean the coop........forget about it...Chicken poo doesnt shovel well when its one frozen mass. I cant even stir the shavings.

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Ya, it sucks big time. Add some lake effect snow from that pond between us and we get hammered. I'm gonna blow the wind your way so you guys can get some [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  8. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I am having the same problem, but my 4 hens are young, so we aren't getting that many eggs anyway.

Water advice: we just got a water-heater, and it is very convenient. We don't have to worry their water freezing at all. Just make sure you buy it online. It's wayyyyyyyyy cheaper![​IMG]

9. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Quote:You can stop blowing anytime.

This just in

Quote:

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I had that happen with some duck eggs. I'd suggest doing what I did. Thaw them out, microwave them, and feed them back to the ducks. No reason to let them go to waste.

God Bless,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by