Frozen eggs

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
This stupid -20 weather is ruining my eggs

Because of work I can only gather eggs twice a day.

I went out today and found 5 eggs in the nest frozen solid, and the shells cracked. Didnt know what else to do so I tossed them to the dogs. They really liked them. Too bad I didnt fill my orders for the week. Glad its only family and coworkers I sell to.

Its also fun chipping ice out of the waterer everyday too.

I feel your pain-- it was -33 here overnight, and still below 0 now. Fortunately, we can check every hour or 2 for eggs. Even so-- we've had 3 frozen out of 12 so far today. We're using the frozen ones ( they weren't solid frozen-- but starting to freeze and cracked the shells) for baking today so they don't go to waste.

Right now, we're one of the few in the area who has eggs for sale-- so watch--- we'll be overrun with customers this weekend and run out! I guess that's what we get, living way up north.

... its the GLOBAL WARMING.........
lau.gif

next year, we will be picking up COOKED eggs,, (because of the iceage)

i feel your frozen egg pain.found 2 frozen eggs twice this week on floor of coop. have two new layers think there spitting them out on the floor and then there freezing.

Ya, it sucks big time. Add some lake effect snow from that pond between us and we get hammered. I'm gonna blow the wind your way so you guys can get some
tongue.png

Last edited:
I am having the same problem, but my 4 hens are young, so we aren't getting that many eggs anyway.

Water advice: we just got a water-heater, and it is very convenient. We don't have to worry their water freezing at all. Just make sure you buy it online. It's wayyyyyyyyy cheaper!
wink.png

I had that happen with some duck eggs. I'd suggest doing what I did. Thaw them out, microwave them, and feed them back to the ducks. No reason to let them go to waste.

God Bless,

Back
Top Bottom