Frozen eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mike32, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Mike32

Mike32 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    I missed a stash of egg yesterday and am wondering if they are still edible. It was below freezing last night so I am unsure if they can still be used. Thank you for your help.

2. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    As I understand it, you can still eat them. If they cracked, you should use them immediately, otherwise just use them soon. Really worried? Feed them back to the chickens.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It's my understanding that they may have an "off" texture, but are still perfectly edible.
    You may prefer to use them in baking rather than for scrambling due to the texture.

If it cracks the inside could get "contaminated" so if you are concerned about that then just cook the cracked ones for your birds or other pets.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If they aren't cracked they are fine to store in the fridge. If they are cracked you only want to keep the clean ones and they should probably be used within a few days. My cracked ones tend to to go the pets since I don't always use eggs often enough to keep them from sitting around. A cracked egg has a compromised shell and would not do well being stored for long.

5. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    I was wondering about that as well thanks!!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Freezing or frozen eggs are no problem. I have frozen eggs with cracks and used them later. I usually use them for baking but have eaten them too. The eggs will crack anyway when you put them in the freezer when they expand from freezing.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I didn't miss any last night but my 5-6 am layers eggs were frozen when I collected them this morning at 7..all have cracked but they are fine to eat..some will be lunch rest will go to the boil pot for the chickens and dh who takes them for lunch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by