Frozen Eggs!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dsegel, Jan 20, 2008.

1. dsegel

dsegel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    Hi everyone,

We are having VERY cold weather here. It was 4 when we got up this morning and it is 14 now--our high for today.

When I went down to collect the eggs, guess what? They are frozen! :eek: Two had cracked already.

Once thawed, can these eggs be eaten? If so, why wouldn't everyone just freeze eggs? If not, why not?

Thanks, Denise in (frozen) SW PA

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yes, you can eat them once thawed. The cracked ones need to be used right away but, if the membrane inside has leaked you might not want to use them. It gives dirt ect. a chance to get in and contaminate the egg.

3. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Yep, you can eat frozen eggs once they have been thawed. [​IMG]

4. dsegel

dsegel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    That's good to know, but why wouldn't everyone freeze eggs all the time if they are edible? Just wondering. [​IMG]

5. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    I always throw my frozen ones away cause if you don't eat them right away then they will run out of the shell when they thaw. Usually they are cracked when they freeze.
    I guess I see it as a storage problem I don't want to deal with.
    this morning I picked one up that wasn't cracked open, but was frozen. The warmth of my hand made it bust open in my hand. Kinda startled me.

6. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Because most people don't know that you can freeze eggs. Its easy to do, just crack them into ice trays, freeze, pop them out and put in freezer bags.

7. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    if you are worried about it, you could just mix it into the chickens food (or even your dogs, dogs love eggs). it's good for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by